“Trump is crazy!” is a personal opinion shared by most of us probably. But is he literally, actually, medically, unhinged?
Something unprecedented has occurred with this Presidency: mental health professionals have been shouting from the roof-tops ever since Trump was elected that they believe he suffers from serious psychiatric disorders and that he should not be in charge of anything – let alone an entire country and its nuclear arsenal.
1. Groups of mental health professionals have published open letters and organised petitions alerting the public to their concerns about Trump’s mental health. [See here, for example].
2. An association of mental health professionals and other concerned citizens, called ‘A Duty to Warn’, are advocating Trump’s removal under the 25th Amendment on the grounds that he is psychologically unfit.
3. Numerous psychologists and psychiatrists have explained their concerns in interviews, some of which I will post below.
4. A least three books on the subject have been published: A Clear and Present Danger: Narcissism in the Era of Donald Trump, Rocket Man: Nuclear Madness and the Mind of Donald Trump, and New York Times best-seller The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President. Find out about them here.
5. 14 separate conferences across the States were held in October last year to discuss the psychological fitness of Donald Trump to be president. As one speaker at one of these conferences, psychoanalyst Dr. Frank Malone, writes: “It is unprecedented for so many mental health professionals to have unified over a political problem in the form of this multi-conference event. In this case, however, it is also an emergency public health matter. As of this writing, Dr. Lee is actively meeting with members from both sides of the U.S. House and Senate on how to proceed with safeguarding the public from the danger of President Donald Trump.” [National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis Winter-Spring Newsletter 2018].
OK – So it’s not just us who are worried. The shrinks are worried too. Their diagnoses include malignant narcissism, paranoia, and sociopathy. Is this all an over-reaction? Isn’t it a bit late – Mueller is closing in and surely the house of cards will soon come tumbling down?
Well, if you accept the professional opinions of dozens of psychiatrists, and the arguments they provide for their diagnoses is convincing, then as things get worse for him, his behaviour may become more unpredictable – more insane. He’s not going to give in quietly, or so some seem to think.
Trump’s condition and behaviour doesn’t concern just himself and his family. The national conference convened last year looked at his mental state, but it also looked at the effect this was having on mental health professionals themselves, and on their clients.
If we believed the Head of our local school was seriously deranged, we would try to do something about it, for the sake of the children. If it’s seriously possible that Trump is deranged, he needs professional help urgently. Let’s be compassionate: towards the man suffering from the ill-health, and towards those who are suffering, or are likely to suffer, as a result of his unwellness. Time for 75 seconds of insight into Trump’s vulnerabilties:
And here is 13 minutes of an up-to-date assessment:
Want more detail? Here a whole bunch of psychiatrists and psychologists give their diagnoses over 30 minutes: